Monday, August 1, 2016

Office 365 - new Hybrid Configuration Wizard

This post marks a pause in my series on CentOS Linux (composed in French). I continue to work with Office 365 and wanted to run the Hybrid Configuration Wizard (HCW) included in the Exchange 2010 Management Console. This was in the context of troubleshooting another problem that I will not address here. In any event, the following error message displayed:




However, Exchange Online has clearly been added as an additional forest:




I had not executed the HCW for a while but know for a fact that it functioned correctly at one time (perhaps several months ago).

An online search led me to this Microsoft article:

You must add your Exchange Online tenant as an additional forest message

We learn that:

The Hybrid Configuration wizard that's included in the Exchange Management Console in Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 is no longer supported. Therefore, you should no longer use the old Hybrid Configuration wizard. Instead, use the Office 365 Hybrid Configuration wizard [...].

There is a direct download link for the wizard but for some reason the installation failed, supposedly due to some missing files. So I thought I would just login to my Office 365 tenant and attempt the operation from there.

***

But first, as the article explains, we must remove and then re-add the Office 365 / Exchange Online "forest" in the EMC. I right-click on the Office 365 entry and select "Remove" in the menu:




I then re-add Office 365 as an Exchange forest:




We enter a name for the "new" forest and select Exchange Online for the "FQDN" (if you click on the arrow, it is a choice - althought technically not a "FQDN"):



I enter my credentials when prompted:




And Office 365 has been re-established as an Exchange forest in the EMC:




***


Once I re-add Exchange Online as an additional forest, I login to Office 365 and find myself at this page:



As indicated by the red dots in the screenshot above, we click on the Applications icon and then on "Exchange", which leads us to this page (you can click on the image to enlarge):




As for the HCW, we click on the "Configure" button (shown above). We are then prompted to download the application:

Note: if we perform this operation on the Exchange server itself, we may have to disable the Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration, at least temporarily.


We respond to any prompts by allowing the installation and once all is complete, we should see the following page:




We first specify (or detect) our on-premises Exchange servers and then select an Office 365 host. In my case, it is "Office 365 Worldwide" (there is also a special option for China and Germany):




We then enter our credentials for both on-premises Exchange and the Office 365 tenant:




Connections and credentials are validated (successfully in this case):



Now the on-premises Exchange servers will be configured to function with Exchange Online. By default, email to and from external senders passes though Exchange Online first and messages for on-premise mailboxes are then routed to these mailboxes. This requires a modification of MX records. I have not changed these records and want mail to continue to transit via my on-premises Exchange servers for the moment. Therefore, I will check the "Enable centralized mail transport" option:



We select our Hub Transport servers (if they are not already selected automatically):



We enter our public IP address (if we are running the HCW for a second time, many of these fields will already be populated):



We indicate the organization FQDN:



And we are "ready to update" (Click "Next" or "Finish" as appropriate):



The HCW is working...




And the process completes:




***

One final comment: I encountered an error on the first try because a perimeter firewall rule was blocking port 443 inbound (sometimes open, sometimes closed, depending on the experiments I conduct in my text network). Once I adjusted the rule and ran the HCW again, the configuration completed as shown above.


No comments:

Post a Comment