Wednesday, January 20, 2016

vSphere 6 - Add an ESXi host to vCenter

In a previous blog post, we installed vCenter so we would have a single point from which we could manage our ESXi hosts (rather than connecting to each one individually, with, for example, the vSphere Client).

In this blog post, I'll demonstrate how we can add an ESXi host to the vCenter Web Client management interface.

***

First, we connect to the vSphere Web Client as we did in previous blog posts, either with local credentials or Active Directory (etc.) credentials. On the Home tab, we highlight "Hosts and Clusters".


Then we have to create a datacenter in which we will place the ESXi hosts. There are a number of methods to accomplish this task. We can right-click on the instance of vCenter in the navigator pane and select "New Datacenter" or select "New Datacenter" under "Actions" (option shown below): 



We provide a name for the Datacenter. I'll call mine "HQ":



Now we have a datacenter named "HQ":




Next, we add an ESXi host to the datacenter (Actions - Add Host):




We can enter the IP address or the name of the ESXi host (if DNS is configured):





We need to enter the username and password for an administrator account on the ESXi host to connect. Here I simply use "root":




This security alert will display:



How can I tell if I am adding the correct ESXi host to vCenter and not some other device? If our security requirements are strict, we can double-check by comparing the thumbprint shown above and the thumbprint in the settings of the ESXi host. In this case, we can see that they are identical:




Next, we see a summary of the host settings:



We assign a license to the host (in my case, an evaluation license):



We can configure "lockdown mode" (see the description below - click to enlarge). In my case, I will leave it disabled:



I select the datacenter. In my case, the choice is easy since I only have one datacenter: HQ.




The following overview displays:



If we highlight the host, we can see, under the Summary tab, details about the resources of the host:



No comments:

Post a Comment